Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate review

Hope y'all had a great long weekend!  Can you believe summer is "officially" over?!  I can't!  Where has this year gone?  I had a pretty relaxing few days... mostly full of Simpsons watching with my husband, eating (what else is new) and mimosas galore... totally acceptable on a holiday weekend! ;-)  One more thing I did to relax was finally try a skincare sample that I received in my goody bag at the TCU Alumni Frog Chic fashion show!

Honestly, I don't usually use skincare samples I receive.  I know that may sound weird, but I'm in love with Mary Kay and have been for 7 years now (there's a reason I'm a beauty consultant... I love a good discount and I love sharing Mary Kay with others).  Since I tried Mary Kay, I haven't used anything else.  And for good reason... I haven't needed to try anything else... I still don't need to but I figure, surely some people out there think I only talk Mary Kay because I sell it.  Well, that's not at all true.  I talk about it constantly because I love it, it works, and you pay drug store prices for department store quality.  That's the truth.  So I still won't be spending my money on other brands, BUT that doesn't mean I can't experiment once in awhile when I'm handed samples of products.  So I tried my first skin treatment the other day and I'll use this post to let you know what I think! (P.S. be kind haha... it takes guts putting total no-makeup pictures of yourself on here!)

Sample: Kate Somerville ExoliKate Intense Exfoliating Treatment

I am used to exfoliating on a regular basis because I use the Mary Kay Microdermabrasion Set.  This product, however, is a little different.  Because it's a mask, you allow it to sit on your skin for a few minutes.  The directions say to allow it to sit for about 1-2 minutes, then wash it off.  I left it on for about 2 minutes.  I could definitely feel a change happening as it felt like it was intensifying the longer I left it on.  It felt tingly on my skin, and since I'm not really used to that, I was ready to wash it off after the 2 minutes.  It wasn't a bad tingle, again, just something I'm not really used to since I regularly use different types of exfoliating treatments and different kinds of masks than this.
 When I removed the mask, I immediately noticed that my skin felt tighter.  It also felt very clean,  refreshed and soft.  The mask does warn that some redness may occur, and that did happen for me.  I felt a little blotchy.  The parts of my skin that are discolored, did show more (you can see red spots on my face above), but I feel like my skin calmed down after a few minutes.  I moisturized as usual and went to bed.  My skin still felt soft the next morning.

I think overall this is a product that is a little more intense than I like.  I mean, it does say it in the name!  It would take getting used to for me, but I can see why a lot of people like it!  It's a very easy treatment and does give nice results in a short amount of time.  It can be used in the morning or at night, but I would personally use it at night.  It makes your skin feel so clean that I feel like it would be kind of a waste to put makeup on afterwards.  And plus, because of the redness it can cause, I would just want to be at home at the end of my day and not have to worry about going anywhere.  This product seems rather expensive to me, but then again, I'm comparing to Mary Kay prices (sorry other brands, you get major bang for your buck with MK!)... so truthfully, you'd have to decide whether the price is worth it to you.  Seems to me that most people don't have a problem paying for it since it has great reviews online.  You can purchase it directly from the Kate Somerville website.  It's also available at beauty favorites like Sephora, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus.

I received my sample from Neiman Marcus Fort Worth, so if you're shopping at a Neimans, you may want to ask if they have a sample.  The Kate Somerville website, Sephora and Nordstrom all offer a .5 oz option for only $22 (maybe Neimans does too but I didn't find it online) If you have sensitive skin, it is recommended that you only leave this mask on for 1 minute.  Or, you could try the Gentle Exoliating Treatment instead.

Have y'all used this product?  What do you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment