Friday, January 17, 2014

#FitWorth

Today we're talking fitness!! ...as I sit on my sofa, recovering from yesterday's workouts! Haha no, not really... I'm not THAT bad but I will say I'm feeling it today!

Yesterday morning marked the kickoff of a citywide challenge in Fort Worth called the Fit Worth 10-Week Wellness Challenge.  Mayor Betsy Price was in attendance, as well as Dallas Cowboy DeMarcus Ware.  After a brief talk about the challenge, Mayor Price passed the mic to Mr. Ware, who spoke about the importance of keeping children active.  We then participated in a 15 minute walk around Burnett Park.

The 10-Week Challenge will officially begin on January 27.  Anyone and everyone in Fort Worth can participate! It's as simple as signing up on the website and logging your minutes of exercise.  I've honestly never really been one to jump on the bandwagon with things like this, but I really appreciate any and all efforts to get people up off their booties and enjoying exercise in this beautiful city!  We are blessed with numerous outdoor trails, parks, bike paths and friendly neighborhoods that are begging for us to put down our technology and just enjoy some simple exercise!  So I've decided to challenge myself to stay active and be a part of this movement!

If you'd love to join the challenge, you can read all about it and sign up HERE! If you'd like to go the extra mile (yes pun intended haa), you can form a team and enjoy lots of extra perks.  But let me emphasize that teams are not necessary and any individual can sign up for free to participate.
...I still haven't figured out the whole Des Moines, Iowa challenging us (what's your beef, Des Moines?!) but hey, a challenge is a challenge and I'm pretty sure Fort Worth, TX can beat them! Let's do this!

Special thank you to Luke's Locker and all the other Fort Worth local sponsors! Loving our freebies and can't wait to come shop with our coupon!




Now, back to me being sore... no, the 15 minute walk didn't do it to me... that would be really sad.  What did kick my butt a little was my trip to the gym last night.  For those that don't already know, I'm engaged to a Marine Scout Sniper and Marine Raider, and last night was one of our very first intense workouts together.  Well, intense for me.  Now, there are some major perks to having a Marine Raider in your life such as feeling safe all the time and hearing amazing stories about stuff you only see in movies... well, another perk is knowing that you're with someone that really knows how to kick it in high gear when it comes to workouts.  On the other hand, this can also be a con :-)

I've always wanted to be with someone that would motivate me more in the workout department.  So true to form, God gave me exactly what I asked for... only 1,000 times better (What an amazing God!)  I literally have a personal trainer living in my home and I have not taken full advantage of that.  Because it can be motivating but also very intimidating.  I used to play competitive soccer, I used to be active every day and I used to be in pretty good shape.  But that was in high school... and now I'm 30... and it's almost embarrassing how easily I can get tired now.  So the idea of going into the gym with Chris can be daunting.  I don't want him to think I'm weak... I don't want him to think I'm not serious when I crack jokes during workouts (because I have to... if I'm not laughing a little and making fun of myself during a workout then it doesn't really work for me)... I just don't want to be embarrassed in front of my love!  It's one thing when you're paying a trainer... it's another thing when you're about to marry your trainer! haha

But like all fear, my worries and doubts were pretty much pointless.  Chris was extremely encouraging and positive towards me.  He helped me with sit ups when I couldn't get up anymore and he gave me great advice on movements and weights that I've never done.  And overall it was such a positive experience that I'm actually excited to go back!  Plus, it's pretty encouraging to actually feel results after one day.  (I fully intend to share some specific workout tips in the future! Stay tuned!)

photo from Downtown Fort Worth facebook
So I guess the lesson is this... no matter what shape you're in, no matter how embarrassed you may be with what you can or cannot do... there are always people out there that will support you and cheer you on, just for trying your hardest.  That's a hard lesson for me.  I tend to not try when I know I won't be the best at something.  But I'm slowly learning to be vulnerable and honest.  I could have sat at home and wished that I had gone to the FitWorth event and I could have sat at home while Chris went to the gym by himself.  But I'm making intentional decisions to participate and do what I can.  That's the only way I'll get better... little by little.

So my challenge to everyone is to just go do something!  Walk around the block, walk up and down your hallways or stairs, go for a jog before dinner, take your dog to the park, sign up for the FitWorth challenge, start a challenge in your city or neighborhood, do some squats in front of your TV during your weekly shows... whatever!  If I can make myself do it, I promise anyone can.  Once you start walking, you may look behind you to see a whole movement!  
photo from Downtown Fort Worth facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment