Monday, April 23, 2012

Mmmm Filet

I've been thinking for a long time now that I need to start experimenting with more cooking, so when I eventually get married I don't horribly disappoint Chris. So I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that sound like something we'd both enjoy. He's easy to please, he will literally eat anything... it's me that's somewhat picky. But there's a few things I love and will never turn down, one of those things being Filet Mignon. Mmmm.

I happened to be flipping through the TV as I'm putting together Administrative Professionals Day gifts (which I currently have available, email me) and came across the Nate Berkus Show. It's a repeat but I haven't seen it.. Sherri Shepherd is co-hosting and I find her funny so I stopped. They are cooking a great recipe that's making my mouth water, so I decided to look it up and save for my own recipe box, as well as share with you. Enjoy!

Chef Aaron "Big Daddy" McCargo Jr.'s horseradish-crusted filet mignon, with a side of braised Portobello mushrooms.

Horseradish-Crusted Filet Mignon with Braised Portobello Mushrooms
Serves four

Ingredients for the Steaks
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper, plus more as needed
4 6-ounce filet mignons
Coarse sea salt or smoked salt
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon canola oil

Ingredients for the Portobello Mushrooms
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 Portobello mushroom caps, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

Directions
To cook the steaks
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the horseradish, mustard, garlic, olive oil and pepper. Season the steaks with salt and more pepper and coat both sides with the mustard mixture. Dip the steaks in panko to coat on both sides. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat and sear the steaks for two minutes on each side. Lift the steaks from the skillet and set aside on a rack set in a baking pan.

To cook the Portobellos
Drain any excess oil from the skillet and then melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and season with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms soften and color slightly, which takes between three and four minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and stir into the butter and exuded juices from the mushrooms. Add the wine and broth, stir, and cook for about three minutes to reduce slightly. Spoon the sauce over the mushrooms to coat them. Stir in the vinegar and thyme.
Meanwhile, cook the steaks in the oven for about five minutes so they become about medium-rare, or until cooked to the desired doneness and until the breading browns. Let the steaks rest for about 5 minutes before serving with the mushrooms spooned over them.

Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr.competed on and won the fourth season of "The Next Food Network Star" in 2008, and is the host of Food Network's "Big Daddy's House." His cookbook, "Simply Done, Well Done," was released in April of 2011. For more information about Aaron, visit his website at Aaronmccargo.com.

Recipe source: Nate Berkus Show

No comments:

Post a Comment